The Heart of the Father (Message Notes)


For Father's Day, our church pastor asked if I would give a five minute message on what God's Father heart means to me. Though the day was all about honouring our earthly fathers, my pastor wished for the focus of the message to be centered on how God is our ultimate Father. Since a couple of people expressed an interest in what I ended up speaking about, I thought I would post the notes I read from (I apologize that they are a little stiff and stilted, since I wanted to have the freedom to expand on these points without sounding like I was reading from a script).

***

I came up with a list of characteristics about God's heart that meant the most to me. So to begin with, God's Father heart is firstly -

1. Just and merciful.

God is fair and just; He corrects the misdirected, and sends them in the right direction. (Psalm 25:8 MSG)

God's discipline is always warranted. I know I needn't fear He is correcting me out of spite, because He is offended or wants to make me feel guilty, but I can be confident He has my best interest at heart and my ultimate good in mind.

 His chastening as a Father is never unfair, and is always beneficial with lasting value.

"Everything You do, You do because you love me." - Evan Almighty

2. Guides me faithfully when I seek Him.

In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:6 NKJV)

God is my Father, and He didn't bring me into this world and leave me without direction. He has a plan and purpose for my life and He is always ready and willing to guide me when I seek Him.

He is never forceful with His wisdom, but allows me the freedom to ask it of Him, and I know as I press into Him, He will fulfil what He wills in me through His continued guidance.

I can always trust His Word to be true and relevant in my life. God uses people close to me to speak His words when I need to hear them, and although it's easy to be uncertain about an unknown future, knowing the One who holds it gives me confidence to live fully each day.

3. Protective of me

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? (Psalm 118:6 NKJV)

God is my protector. He is always with me, no matter the circumstance or situation. I love knowing that He holds my life - being, my soul and spirit - and nothing man can do can ever take me from His hand. Though we may face tribulation in this world, with God as our heavenly Father, He will protect us and bring us into eternity perfected.

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed. (2 Corinthians 4:8, 9 KJV)

4. Loves me perfectly always.

We have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. (I John 4:16 NKJV)

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear. (I John 4:18a NKJV)

My love is flawed, and I can find it so easy to hold grudges, be unforgiving or judgemental. My love can be selfish and careless, but God's love never is.

God's love for me as a Father is perfect and complete, and I never have to be worried that anything I may do will separate me from that love.

Though people may fail me, and though I may be hurt or wounded by others, knowing God will never turn me away but will always be as the prodigal's Father with His arms open wide for me to run home to Him brings an indescribable peace to my heart.

When I become doubtful of God's goodness, or am unsure of Who He is, based on what I see in the people around me, God reminds me that He alone is perfect, and that I can't let my perception of Him be clouded by the bad things I see around me, or by the way we may have been treated. Our God is greater and higher than any other, and through His Word, His splendorous creation, and the sacrifice of His Son, He proves just how great and how perfect that love is.

This is what makes God my Father to me.
~

Share this:

4 comments:

  1. *smiles* I love this, Bushy. The last point especially clicked for me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much, Shawnie. I'm glad God used it to speak to you, sweet. :) * hugs *

      Delete
  2. Beautiful... this was a blessing to read! * hugs * xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad, Emily! Thankyou for reading, it means a lot!! *hugs* xxo

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts. I would love to hear your perspective. Let's learn from each other.